This gluten-free Creamy Chicken Verde Soup includes plenty of protein, veggies, and cheese to make it taste irresistible! It’s perfect to warm you up on a cold day.
I have toyed with this recipe for many months and finally got the perfect balance of cheesiness and nutrition from the veggies. It’s especially easy to make with a few already prepared ingredients. You can make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot!
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Verde Soup
- Chicken – I like to use already cooked chicken. A Rotisserie chicken works perfectly in this recipe, as do chicken thighs or chicken breasts.
- Salsa Verde – My favorite brand is Trader Joe’s. It has the best roasted flavor in my opinion! It comes in a __ ounce jar. You can also use other brands, just make sure you use at least __ ounces in the soup.
- Chicken Stock – Homemade chicken stock or a carton of chicken broth works great in this recipe! If you want to increase the nutrition and protein, try using chicken bone broth.
- Vegetables – I love the flavors of cauliflower, kale, and corn in this soup. I use frozen bags of veggies for convenience. Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies!
- Cream Cheese – Surprise! This secret ingredient makes the soup creamy and flavorful. It works best if you blend it into the stock (or water) with an immersion blender, but you can also try mixing it into warm soup (but you’ll have to mix it really well!)
- Shredded Cheese – I use a Mexican blend in the soup. Pepper-Jack, Colby-Jack, Monterey Jack, or mild Cheddar would all be good too!
Is This Soup Paleo?
The soup is gluten-free and grain-free. This soup is not paleo because of the dairy. You can remove the dairy or try the substitutions below if you would like to make this soup Paleo.
If you need to make this soup dairy-free, you can try experimenting with a few things.
Full fat coconut milk would make the soup creamy and nutritional yeast would make the soup taste cheesy.
Adding rice or white beans tastes really great in this recipe! You’ll need to experiment with the amounts and cooking time if you choose to try these additions.
Making Creamy Chicken Verde Soup In The Instant Pot
Sometimes I make this soup in the Instant Pot. I add the chicken stock, salsa verde, veggies, and chicken to an Instant Pot.
Set the Instant Pot to Manual, High Pressure, and set for 4 minutes.
Follow the instructions below to mix in the cheeses and serve!
Creamy Chicken Verde Soup
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 12 ounces salsa verde
- 6 ounces frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 ounces frozen chopped kale
- 4 ounces frozen corn
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour or arrowroot optional
- Add chicken broth or stock and salsa verde to a 5 quart stock pot. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add frozen vegetables and bring back to a simmer.
- Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Then add in cooked chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, put cream cheese and shredded cheese into a large Pyrex measuring cup or bowl. Add two cups of warm water. Use the immersion blender to blend until fully mixed.
- Pour the creamed cheese mixture into the soup and let it heat up.
- If you'd like a thicker soup, mix tapioca or arrowroot into 1/4 cup water to form a slurry. Add this to the soup and simmer for another minute, mixing carefully.
- Serve and enjoy!